The 30 Best Drool-Worthy Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes Of All Time
Love is often a bittersweet thing … but these treats for two are anything but bitter!
We’ve rounded up the best Valentine’s Day dessert recipes from bloggers, cookbook writers and chefs to present their holiday-themed cupcakes, cookies, candies, pastries or fruity sweets. You can click through each page to drool over each mouth-watering recipe that’s easy to make a fun to share with the person you love.
1. Red Velvet Nutella Cinnamon Roll Hearts
By Yammie of Yammie’s Noshery
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. (2 packets) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 bottles red gel food coloring
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter (but not too hot)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
1. Mix together the sugar, yeast, water, food coloring, butter, and oil. Let sit for about five minutes.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients at a time, mixing well after each addition. Knead for about 10 minutes with dough hook on mixer or by hand.
3. Put dough in a greased bowl and cover in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until doubled in volume.
4. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Roll the dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface. It should be about 1 foot by 1 1/2 feet or so (don’t worry about being exact). Spread on the Nutella (if it’s not soft enough, you can warm some up in the microwave a little to make it easier).
5. Slice the dough into strips (maybe about 1 inch wide or so). Roll the edges of each strip towards each other and then pinch the bottom to make into a heart shape.
6. Place the spirals on a well greased baking sheet. Allow to rise at least five more minutes. Bake at 375ºF for about 9-11 minutes. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
7. For cream cheese frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time and beat until smooth. Spread over cinnamon rolls. Drizzle with more Nutella if desired.
2. Valentine’s Lovebirds
By Chelsea Lords of Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- 18 heart-shaped peppermint patties
- 4 squares Plymouth Pantry Almond Bark Vanilla Baking Bar
- 4 tsp. vegetable oil
- Red or pink food coloring
- 18 miniature chocolate chips
- 18 heart shaped sprinkles (and more if you want to do feathers or other embellishments)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 and 1/4 cup Fiber One cereal, or substitute chow mein noodles
- Optional: coconut
1. Unwrap the peppermint patties and set aside. Line a tray with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a small ramekin, melt one square of the white chocolate with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Microwave for 30 seconds, flip the square on the other side and microwave for 25 more seconds. Stir until the chocolate is creamy and add more vegetable oil if needed.
3. There are more white chocolate melting tips in the post seen at the bullet points.
4. Working quickly, dip the front of the peppermint patty in the chocolate and shake off the excess. Immediately attach a mini chocolate chip as the eye and a heart sprinkle as the beak. (Alternatively, you can let the chocolate harden and attach the eye and beak with frosting later.)
5. You can also decorate the birds more with sprinkles if desired.
6. Place the peppermint patty on a tray lined with parchment paper and let the chocolate harden.
7. When the chocolate is gone or too hardened to work with, clean out the bowl and repeat the chocolate melting steps with another square of chocolate.
8. To melt 18 peppermint patties, it took me 4 squares of the almond bark baking bar.
9. Line a large tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
10. In a medium sized bowl, combine 1 cup of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup peanut butter. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and return to the microwave for 20 more seconds. Stir until creamy and microwave more if needed.
11. Stir in the Fiber One or Chow Mein Noodles and create 9 large “nests” on the parchment lined tray.
12. Place the love birds next to each other on the nests and let harden.
Optional: Combine 1/2 cup coconut with 3-4 drops of red or pink food coloring. Stir until the coconut is dyed. Place the coconut around the birds in the nest.
3. Dark Chocolate Almond Milk Custard
By Pastry Chef Daniel Benjamin of Herons at The Umstead Hotel
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- Pinch of salt
- 8oz Dark Chocolate
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1/8 tsp Kappa Carrageenan
- 1/4 tsp Iota Carrageenan
Fruit and Nut Granola
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil, citrus flavored
- Nice pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/4 cup Toasted Coconut
- 1/4 cup Toasted Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 cup Freeze Dried Raspberries
1. Combined honey, syrup, olive oil, salt, and cinnamon in sauce pan and warm (taste for salt and season as needed).
2. Once seasoned well bring to full boil and boil for 3 minutes.
3. Pour over oats and toss to combine.
4. Pour onto parchment lined sheet pan and bake at 300 until golden brown and crispy.
5. Remove from oven. Remove mixture from parchment paper and pour onto clean cool surface, separate.
6. Once cooled rough chop in food processor to break into pieces.
7. In a bowl combine mixture with coconut, raspberries and almonds.
8. Spoon over custard and top with nice sorbet, blood orange or citrus works nicely.
4. Words With Cookies
By Erica of Erica’s Sweet Tooth
- 1 batch of sugar cookie dough
- 1 batch of royal icing
- Black food coloring or black food marker
1. Prepare cookie dough according to the recipe and roll it out into a large rectangle on a floured surface.
2. Measure how large you want your squares to be and cut even tiles with a sharp knife. Bake in a 350ºF oven for
Swoon! The 15 Most Romantic Summer Movies Of All Time
Click to view (15 images) Photo: instagram Everyone can appreciate a good summer love movie,Read More
29 Easy, Adorable, Last-Minute DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts To Impress Your Boo
Photo: getty Now that the month of love is in full bloom, there’s something that youRead More